Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 16: Free Day in Sitka

When the kids beat me to the computer to post a blog, I know it was a good day. And Jake is waiting for me to finish so he can add his family hiking adventure. I won't repeat anything from the fishing trip report Alex gave (good job, A!), except to say:

- Yes, my camera has filled several times, and I've been downloading photos onto my 6GB jump drive (thank goodness I brought it).

- Yes, it was a canary rockfish (very orangy with splotches of yellow) that I caught at the same time as the shark.

- Yes, shipping is expensive but still cheaper than the fish can be purchased in the Lower 48...and unparalleled in taste!! Once you have Alaska fish, you accept no substitutes!

- Small correction: The "seals" that came up right beside the skiff on Saturday were not seals. They were sea lions. But we saw seals today, along with sea otters (how cute!) and humpbacks! Still no orca spottings for anyone.

- And yes, Mrs. Mostofian...We got a picture of Alex with his VERY BIG FISH!!

Leaving for an overnight on the ferry tomorrow night on our way to Wrangell. We'll walk directly off the ferry and onto our fishing boat, so hopefully we'll have some more "big fish" stories to tell Wednesday night. Until then...

Oh, two comments about our small world:

1) Today, Alex and I got into the fishing shuttle van with 4 alum from NC A&T, Greensboro residents.

2) Hey, Mom & Dad, tonight's night clerk at the Sitka Hotel moved here from Jeff City. Her brother still lives in Maryville and works as a firefighter in Knoxville, so I got to talk about home-home.

No comments: