Like Juneau, Skagway has been good to us. She has challenged us with her hikes, awed us with her incredible views, taught us with her history, and humbled us with her precarious position between two equally treacherous mountain ranges.
Today we will leave Skagway, the second town on our journey through the Southeast. We are making last-minute purchases (some bigger than others), packing, and saying good-byes to our friends James and Amy who have been working their way north from Ketchikan. They have decided to stay another night in Skagway before crossing into Canada and starting another adventure. We have given them a standing invitation to visit High Point as our guests, and we all hope they will take advantage of the opportunity to visit a part of the U.S. that they haven't yet seen. We are also saying good-bye to our hosts retired firefighter Frank; former Chilkoot Trail ranger and Skagway school superintendent Nancy; their 8-year-old, attention-loving granddaughter Dainean; Misty the dog, who never missed an opportunity to do tricks or beg for food; and Samantha the cat, who remains loving even when Dainean accidentally holds her upside down by one leg.
We'll board the ferry today at 4:30pm and leave at 5:30pm, sleeping while we motor from Skagway through Juneau to Sitka, arriving at 11:45am tomorrow. I know Jake will be glad to see his cousins...and his wallet (which he left at a Hardee's somewhere between his home in Maryland and High Point. Luckily, a Hardee's worker found it and returned it to his parents intact!) And I know we're all looking forward to the floathouse!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You guys and gals sound like you are having a blast! Our trip to Alaska was not nearly as involved and I think if/when I go back this is the way to do it [since Jen didn't have room in her backpack for me;)]. Anyway, you must tell us what the temperatures are like up there! I'm dying to know! Keep the stories coming, I'm loving it all and full of envy...thinking of going AWOL and joining you! Stay safe!
Jen's Auntie Julia
sounds like things are going great for you guys- have a good time for me!
We can't wait to see each new post on the blog! Please please stay far away from the bears -- Leigh, you know I have to say that. I hope your overnight ferry was good and warm. Let us all know what the floathouse is like as well as the journey on the water. Stay IN the kayaks, gang!
xxoo mom
Skagway was a very "homey," comfortable, quiet town. It was nice to sit in the backyard of the hostel and read or play bachi-ball with alex and jake. However, I'm not going to go back to Skagway because every day there was one moment in which I thought I was going to die. From the 1955 bicycle that I transformed into a modern day mountain bike, to climbing 3 miles straight up the side of a mountain...it was beautiful, but painful all at the same time.
Overall I give Skagway an "B+" for scenery, but I was very ready to leave and give my legs a rest!
Auntie Julia,
Temperatures have varied quite a bit. We hit the mid-70s in Skagway and Juneau on a couple of sunny, humid days, but for the most part the clouds have kept the temps down. Usually 55-65 degrees. Very pleasant for our activity level.
Post a Comment