While waiting at the bus stop, we chatted with a young man who had recently moved back to his childhood home of Juneau after living in Wisconsin and other places for a few years. When asked, he said that he didn't realize how connected he was to this land and how much he missed it. As it turns out, he was one of two bakers at the Silverbow Bakery, where Alex and I planned to get bagels tomorrow morning. He gave us a wealth of knowledge about the area that we wouldn't have discovered otherwise. And the rest of our info came from a few incredibly helpful bus drivers, who evidently are paid, first, to crack corny jokes and, second, to drive.
After arriving at our stop, we had a 2-3 mile walk ahead of us into the forest and toward the glacier's visitor's center. We took the standard tourist photos and then set off on a trail walk: Mendenhall East Glacier Loop Trail, to be exact. It was just over 4 miles, and as we were nearing the glacier and the end of the loop, a trail runner who had passed us earlier was running back toward us. She told us of a mother bear and two cubs on the trail up ahead. She had unexpectedly come upon the bear family, done the appropriate evasive manuever, and retreated. We walk a bit farther passing others who decided not to challenge the mother, stopping just short of where the family was seen, and then we also decided to turn back and backtrack the nearly 3 miles to the visitor's center.
But that wasn't enough adventure for us! We walked a short way around the side of the trail and ended up at the foot of a 500+ feet tall waterfall. In fact, waterfall isn't a good word--gullywasher of a waterfall is more like it. Leigh and I stripped off our boots and socks and stood in the freezing cold water for about 10 seconds before retreating to the warmth? of the sand and pebbles. After an hour of gazing, snoozing, and just "being" with nature, we walked back to the bus stop, amazing at the what the first day in Alaska held for us--blue skys, friendly people, bears, glaciers, waterfalls, and many, many laughs!
Tomorrow it's supposed to be raining, but you never know. It was supposed to rain today, too!
4 comments:
So cool Kelly. Keep it coming. You know I am so wishing I was there. charlie
你们好朋友们![nimen hao pengyoumen!]
From the other side of the world, my prayers are with you guys. I wish I was there with you all! Take lots of pics. Enjoy every moment. God's great earth is gorgeous! I pray you really get to experience His beauty!
Can't wait to hear the details after I get back to America. Thanks for the blog. It's really great to "see" this trip in action!
Be safe - but take some risks!
Ferg
Kelly and friends,
Gart told me about your blog, what a great idea, I am hoping to follow your trip so that some day I can take Gart to Alaska like he has always wanted.
Have a good day, Dorotea Evans
Doc Kelly!! I'm trying this agian!! What a GRAND adventure you are on. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
Travel safe, have fun, soak up all the majesty of the sights you see. The rest of us will enjoy it through your eyes and words.
Sending Love, Abundant HUGS, and many prayers for your safe keeping.
loveyou! MthrO
Post a Comment