Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 24: Canopy Zipping & Hiking in Ketchikan

Well, we survived canopy zipping! And to tell the truth, we were all ready to go again! Alex was the first brave soul to go down a zip line, a short one to see if anyone freaked out. All went well as we each made our way across the "practice line," and then off we went down 8 zip lines, walked across 3 sky bridges (one of which our guide made bounce and sway semi-violently), highest point was the first sky bridge at 135ft, longest cable was 745ft, average height was 93ft. It was cool! My entire body stayed tense most of the time, and my arms and legs tremored on occasion, especially just before the fastest long line. I don't have my camera cord with me to download and post a photo, but the video is what really tells the story. Sorry, but you'll just have to wait. Here is the website for the company we used: http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/index.html They had cookies, hot cocoa, fig newtons, and SALMON DIP waiting for us when we got back. Great recipe...and very simple! I'm making that stuff at home!

While we were waiting for our ride to go zipping, Leigh and I hung out in a local coffee shop called Moggie's, also where we found Jake hanging out after we got back. Leigh and I had a nice view to the ocean on the patio, and we also watched as people rented little scooters in the parking lot below us. We noticed one 40- or 50-something woman in particular on a yellow scooter who was having a very hard time getting used to the scooter. She practiced in the gravel lot with the attendant running along behind her, holding onto the seat like the parent holding a bicycle for a child riding for the first time without training wheels. We got quite a laugh out of it, even as she drove by behind us, appearing to have picked up the skill quickly. Well, not so fast. Our canopy tour driver, Ann (who spent some childhood years in Icard, NC), described a bloody scene along the side of the road we took going out to the zip lines. A woman on a yellow scooter who had taken a nose dive into the pavement in the middle of a gnarly construction area. Ambulance called. Trip to the hospital. End of her vacation bliss, I suppose, and not worth the $75 per hour that she paid for the scooter. (Piece of advice to Dorthea when planning your AK trip: Scooters are bad. Trust the bus.)

Jake opted not to do zipping, so he busied himself on one of the steeper trails in the area: Deer Mountain Trail. It rose more than 1,000 feet each mile for 3 miles. But Jake's photos show that the effort was well worth it. The first mile took him to a gorgeous, clear view of the beach. The second mile to a view of Ketchikan. Other hikers were growing thin after the second mile, so he decided it was best to turn back rather than face an animal alone on the trail. Wise decision!

Now we're all waiting for the church to open back up, so we can eat leftover Mexican food from last night. And no matter how good it was last night, and no matter how good it will be warmed up tonight, it can't come close to the fish 'n' chips (fried salmon and fried halibut) that we had on the docks yesterday...and that we plan to have again tomorrow for lunch!

We are all sad to admit that this is our last full day on Alaskan soil. Tomorrow we'll board a ferry bound for Bellingham, WA (after a quick stop in Prince Rupert?/Wales? Island). I still catch myself thinking, "Wow, we're in Alaska. We're running the bus...in Alaska. We're having coffee...in Alaska. We're hiking to the top of a mountain...in Alaska. We're actually here...in Alaska!" Even after 24 days, it still seems surreal to be here.

But the time is starting to catch up with some, and we're ready to see family, friends, and PETS! again. Alex summed it up today when he said, "I miss Alaska already, and we haven't even left yet." Everyone agreed and then got quiet. I'm sure each person was reflecting over the past weeks, good memories (and even a few not-so-good), all very much burned into our minds as part of our adventure together. It does feel like we're winding up an incredible journey--making last-minute purchases, soaking in every second of every day, and beginning to prepare for what's waiting for each of us at home, whether that be work, summer classes, preparing for law school, another crew season, business school...and of course, planning our next trip to Alaska. Jake is trying to talk me into a winter break trip to see the Northern Lights. We'll see, Jake, we'll see.

3 comments:

VWFREAK said...

nothing is more bittersweet than coming home. Enjoy the ferry!!

Anonymous said...

Good morning you all. My God Kelly..I'd be the one freaking out. You would have to have me committed....God Bless you all. I don't know how you did the zipping. What a wonderful experience of a life time you all have had. Have safe trips to where ever you all are returning to..And thanks for the ride with this blog. Rita

Topher said...

Leaving... Man, I feel you all. I begin my process of coming home in about 9 hours. although I will make a few stops on the way, I already miss my home here. I wish I could have been with you all! Can't wait to see the pics and videos. I pray you have safe travels and great memories. Zai Jian Wo De Peng You!